Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Comparison post: Eye Candy - What A Steal and Chanel - Graphite

Hello everyone, hope you are well. I really need to apologise for the lack of posts lately, I have no excuses, just not really felt like it! Still, it hasn't stopped people joining my blog and I want to say a big thankyou to everyone, I never thought I'd get so many followers. This may just get my butt into gear along with dear Hannah from Polly Polish being a sweetie and giving me some much needed motivation.

Those of you that follow me on Instagram when I post the odd polish picture, may remember me posting a picture of these two polish bottles together and I said I'd do a comparison, here it is! I was in my local Sainsbury's conveniently located near me and I saw the lady setting up a new display, barely had she got half the polishes on the shelf than I'd whipped this one back off -  Eye Candy in What A Steal. I knew straight away what it was a possible dupe for.... Chanel Graphite. 

(This picture under bright lamp light): I used 3 thin coats of each for the comparison.




Now when Chanel Graphite came out, I got that and Peridot using my Boots loyalty card points, how at the time I wished I'd got two Graphites instead of one of each, especially as the world and it's mother have been making Peridot copies. Knowing that I might never be able to wear the beautiful Graphite more than once for fear of running out ,it was kept safely at the back of the helmer till now.  On the front of the bottle of the Eye Candy it even says Graphite on there!! But it cost's £6.00 for 12ml compared to Chanel in at £17 for 13 ml.




Anyway enough of the waffle from me, let's look at the polishes shall we? (I apologise now for the mark on the ring finger, was interfering in my husband's cooking.)  So can you tell which is which? 

Below is in natural early evening light:





Below is under warm tone bright kitchen spotlight:




I have to say the formula was pretty much identical on both of these, both spread nicely and dried fairly quickly, you do have to let it dry completely between coats though or risk bald spots. 

Ok, ok!!! You want to know which is which, well from left to right (above) - index finger is Chanel, middle finger is Eye Candy, ring finger is Chanel and little finger is Eye Candy.

It is very, very difficult to tell these apart, there was a lot of talk of Revlon's Carbonite being a near dupe, (I have that and it's not dupe enough to satisfy me), however Eye Candy's What A Steal blows the Revlon out of the water. If I want to be really pedantic about it, I'd say the Eye Candy's has an almost imperceptible yellow tinge to it, and is a touch darker in base colour -  to test this, when removing, I laid a cotton pad with remover over each for five seconds to reveal, below you can see Graphite on the left and What A Steal on the right. You can see it is indeed darker and with gold sparkles hence the slight yellow tinge.




But as you can see from the polishes on the nails, there really is not much in it all, and I for one am MORE than happy to at last have some sort of back up of this stunning Chanel polish, I might even wear it again soon!

What do you think to this then ladies? Are you more of a Peridot girl or was it Graphite that you loved like me? I do believe that Eye Candy have a Peridot possible dupe, but I haven't bought it...yet.  I can see why the Graphite dupe was named What A Steal, it totally is, even the formula is identical for less than half the price.

Thankyou for looking. xxx

20 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see you posting again, and chuffed that I haven't missed out on a graphite-esque polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Hannah for motivating me, and yours will be in post soon! :-) x

      Delete
  2. Sainsburys sell this wow next day of me gonna check ours out love the comparison they are identical, love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo they do a great range in the bigger stores! Not to enable or anything. ;-) x

      Delete
  3. this is amazing!! Love the comparison :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. I love Graphite. Was never a fan of metal polishes but it brought me round. Sadly can't get that dupe here but I came across an Ulta3 one the other day that I thought might be a dupe for graphite so I'll investigate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope if you get the ULTA one you'll do a post, we don't have Ulta here so would be good to see! Graphite is such a beautiful polish.

      Delete
  5. I bought one of their polishes a couple of monts ago and I was very impressed, having never heard of it before. Mine is a duo chrome called Green With Envy and it's very pretty! I'm going to have to track down What a Steal now because it is stunning! (any excuse)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been and bought Graph- ahem, What A Steal and Liquid Gold. Now I don't know which to wear... :-(

      Delete
    2. Haha!!! You won regret buying it Patsy! I think the Peridot like one is £2 more expensive than the Graphite like one! Better for me though ;-)

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, got all excited to see a post from you lovely :)

    This looks amazing - I adore Graphite (don't own it) so will def pick this up!

    Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great comparison post... though I try to get the originals (whenever financially possible) I'll settle for a dupe anytime if it saves money. "what a steal" sounds like a great deal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When they came out I couldn't resist Graphite (about Peridot there were already rumors about Sephora dupe) :-) I think this Eye Candy is really so close (thanks for the great and detailed comparison, even on cotton pad, always useful to reveal polish undertones), pity it's not available here, too (might check EvilBay)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are also Jessica exact dupes for all 3 Chanels (Peacock Queen collection), except for that Jessica's formula is much better :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely a Graphite girl myself. I never liked Peridot and was never tempted to buy any of the dupes that came out. It's just not my thing. But Graphite! I even went to admire it in Sephora one time. It's really gorgeous! Great comparison!xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely!! Though I've been resisting the Eye Candy stand so far...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an incredibly thorough comparison. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Esther that is AMAZING, I haven't seen a closer dupe yet. There are so many Peridot ones and imo Graphite was a much nicer polish! Amazing find.

    ReplyDelete