Friday, May 4, 2012

Polka Dot Nails Tutorial Part 2 - The Manicures

Hello everyone, I hope you enjoyed and found useful Part 1 of the polka dot tutorial, which covered the basics of dotting. This part will show how I did the actual manicure using a-england Camelot and Boots 17 matte topcoat instead of a colour. You can see the original look by scrolling down this post - a-england Camelot and Polka Dot nails. Here is a link to Part 1 covering the basics of dotting.

Using the same spacing as the 'staggered dotting method', we do exactly the same as in the previous tutorial but using a matte topcoat for the dotting instead of a colour. You'll find if using a matte topcoat it will be less liable to having runny streaks as the matte topcoat , well this particular one anyway has more of a gel like formula. This also makes it easier to go over a dot if you have made a mistake perhaps if it is too small.

Below shows the ring finger but don't forget to allow for the sizing of the little finger and thumb (see part 1) - you can click any picture to enlarge:

Stage 1 - Paint on your black base colour and add a clear shiny topcoat.

Stage 2 - Dot just off centre from tip to cuticle with the matte topcoat, keeping the dots evenly spaced.


Stage 3 - Complete one side of the nail first, don't forget it may be easier to turn the nail by 90 degrees to help with dotting.

Stage 4 - Complete the other side of the nail, and you are done!


You should end up with something like this (from original post):


I also did a quick try of a dark grey (middle) and light grey (left) to see how it looked with matte dots:


Why not try putting a matte topcoat over your base colour and then adding glossy dots such as in the example below for a different take on the look? (Personally I prefer the matte dots):




Dots can also be used to make other patterns such as flowers, as shown here:

Stage 1 - Base colour and using a dotting tool of some sort place dots in a circle, as little or as many as you like.

Stage 2 - Add more flowers if you like, across all fingers or just as an accent nail.



Stage 3 - Using a different colour add the centre to the flowers (or fried eggs as they look to me!).
 
Stage 4 - Add a topcoat to even out and prolong the manicure. 





                                                                       *    *     *    *    *    *    *

Those were just examples of a myriad of manicures you could undertake, now I am going to give you some links to some of my favourite manicures by other bloggers based around dots or using dotting tools. These are in no particular order, I love them all equally!

I follow Spektor's Nails who has done quite a few different dotty looks, here's one of them using big dots: Black and White Polka dot nails

One of the most unique and beautiful dotted manicures I've seen in a while from one of my fellow B&W challenge mates, Stephanie at Sincerely Stephanie: Sno-Caps 

Sammy from The Nailasaurus has done these cute flowers not unlike the ones above, along with a great little video tutorial: Simple Flower Nail Art. 

Every time I click on a link to AmyGrace at The Polished Perfectionist I want to do a Wayne's World style 'we're not worthy!' and here's a link to perfect dots combined with a skittle manicure: Polka Dots 

Rie for her amazing 31 day challenge effort (phew!!) did this bright and cheerful look with an accent nail ( I always want to do 'we're not worthy' with Rie too!):31 day challenge - Polka Dots 

Another of my B&W challenge buddies did this beautiful dot over dot manicure, from Cris at Let Them Have Polish: Blue Dots for Autism 


If you type into Google Images the words 'polka dot nails' or 'polka dot manicure', it will bring up so many different looks for you to be inspired by so now you are armed with the know how, do some dots and send me a link to what you've done in the comments box below! You KNOW I love dots so would love to see. Thankyou for reading everyone. xxx

36 comments:

  1. Fabulous I love the flowers these are next on my to do list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo, they are so easy and fun to do!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is an amazing two part tutorial! Thank you so much, they are so useful! I just read the first part as I missed it earlier. Thank god I didn't miss these!! I should try it as soon as I can :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, so glad you like it, let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  3. Wow Esther! I read both of these posts and I must say they are amazing info! You have been so thorough in your explanations that it makes all the other tutorials out there look like a short introduction to yours. Well done! I personally like to use the "staggered method" when doing dotting mani's. Will have to try the other one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) thnkyo Mihaela, I think I prefer the staggered dotting method and I think the linear way needs to be so more precise ut still looks good.

      Delete
  4. wow this is awesome,i love it. have a great weekend honey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think in addition to a dotting tool, you have some superb precision... my row of dots looks like a random splatter of dotts... I have yet to master the dotting tool (seriously).
    I love the matte/glossy look. It reminds me of modern home decor for some reason... Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marta, I know what you mean with the home decor look, especaiallyon the lighter grey shade!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thankyou Nic, will try to get the mermaid one done soon. x

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanbkyou Deborah, I actually really enjoyed doing it too. :-)

      Delete
  8. Nice tutorial, am reading your blog for the first time; love it! Your are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Miriam,I will be doing more tutorials soon. So many ideas going round in my head! But so little time.

      Delete
  9. Ooo love the black version! Looks so great, may have to do this to my own now!

    Lucy
    http://lucyywrites01.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy this would lovely on your nails! x

      Delete
  10. This is great! Much nicer than the matte black with glossy tips! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jessica, I prefer it too! :-)

      Delete
  11. Yay, more dotting tricks! I love the matte buttons ;)
    Phlox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you've found it helpful! Love how you call it buttons,very cute! :-D

      Delete
  12. gosh I love the matte dots. Such a great tutorial hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stephanie, glad you liked it! x

      Delete
  13. It's amazing how something so simple can blow my mind..I absolutely LOVE THIS! My word, gorgeous!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou LaaLaa, it's what I love about it too!

      Delete
  14. Thanks! I loved this tutorial, it´s just a simple but amazing thing. Love both of the styles, the one with the matte dots looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the matte dots - never seen it before!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Alex, neither had I so thought I'd try it out, and I love it!

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous! Simple, but really effective.

    Sarah xo
    http://beautyon-abudget.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would never have thought that's how matte dots were done! (Don't ask what I thought :p) Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dots are so much fun to play around with and the contrast with the different textures is something I definitely need to try! :) Thanks for the ideas, Esther!

    ReplyDelete