Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Carmex lipbalm review - Original, Cherry Carmex and Moisture Plus (Peach Sheer Tint)

Hello everyone, I was recently sent some products from Carmex to try, which included the following three items -  original Carmex lipbalm, a cherry flavoured lipbalm and a tinted lipbalm:




Carmex has been making lipbalm for what seems like forever (since 1937 to be precise), I even remember my mum using this occasionally in the 1980's and various friends having it at high school. My mum used the little pot of the original Carmex balm which is a set formula in a small pot with a screw lid. The cherry flavoured lipbalm has a thickish consistency which you can apply straight from the squeezy tube. The tinted lipbalm in this case is the Peach Sheer tint and is in the form of a lipstick style tube:




The cherry flavoured and Peach tint both have an SPF of 15 in the form of oxybenzone. Some people tend to avoid this ingredient and so if you know you don't like it, you may want to avoid these. The original lipbalm doesn't contain any oxybenzone.

This is the ingredients list for the Original lipbalm:


Whilst some of my friends at school were using this I used to use the little pots of Vaseline, but eventually gave up using that due to the ingredients i.e the petrolatum, which is also in this product. Although I feel occasional use is ok, it's not really the sort of thing I'd use on my lips regularly anymore. I just find too much use will lead to more drying of the lips and I don't really want to put petrochemicals on my lips, especially if it's the main ingredient.

The Cherry flavoured lipbalm has some similar ingredients, (this list was taken from the Boots website):

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Aroma, Benzophenone-3, Cetyl Esters, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, Cera Alba, Paraffin, Camphor, Menthol, Vanillin, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellal, Eugenol. Contains Oxybenzone

This product has quite a strong chemical cherry scent to it which some of you may like and does tingle a bit on the lips, but is good for pre-moisturising before applying lipstick.

Here is the ingredients list and product information for the Peach Sheer Tint:



Out of the three products sent to me, the Sheer Tint in Peach was my favourite. I have actually reached for this a few times - it imparts a slight sheen with a hint of colour and looks quite natural on my lips which are quite pigmented. It's a good one to take on a night out if you need less than a lipstick but want more than a non-coloured lipbalm. This was also I feel the most moisturising out of the three lipbalms too with not needing to reapply too often.

All of these items can be bought from Boots at a price of £2.69 for the Original and Cherry flavoured and for £4.49 for the Peach Sheer Tint. I have also seen these in lots of other places including most chemists on the high street.

Thankyou for reading, will be back soon with more nails and lipstick! xxx


* These products were sent for review.*


10 comments:

  1. Great review, the peach tint looks a lovely colour x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sunny! I quite liked it for a neutral look.

      Delete
  2. great review hun,love carmex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hy sweetie! i love your post! would you likw to follow each other? tell me what do u think! XXo

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review; I've often wondered what Carmex is like. May check them out in future, though I have enough balm/gloss for a lifetime I think :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Saira, they're not too bad. I rarely wear the stuff to be honest, especially gloss!

      Delete
  5. yes i saw these when i was stopping by at superdrug and had some serious lip problems and almost bought one to release the lips from cracking too much, but hesitated after glimpsing at the ingredients. i try to avoid petrolatum aka mineral oil in my skin care routines so therefor it didn't appeal to me.
    so what did you think of them? even though the heavy cherry scent....;)/Azure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Azure, I have to say I liked the Peach Tint, the original was ok for use under lipstick as not too sticky to make the lipstick 'run' or bleed. The cherry one was just too strongly smelling to wear everyday.

      Delete