Sunday, April 22, 2012

Black and White Challenge - Day 8: Sponging

Hello everyone, so I'm back today with the next part of the challenge which is sponging. I haven't really done much of this technique, so not really great at it. I was fairly pleased with how todays manicure turned out but I definitely need more practice! 

Saying that it looks much better in real life than on the photos, isn't that always the way?! I used these polishes for the nails - from left to right, GOSH - Nero, China Glaze - White on White, No7 - Grey Matter and a-england - Merlin:




I did one coat of GOSH Nero which is a very pigmented black (but I don't think it's available in the UK anymore), which I then sponged the China Glaze onto lightly started more heavily at the tips and working up towards cuticle a bit more lightly. I then went over for the tips to about halfway up the nail with the No7, which is a lovely dark grey. To brighten this all up and add a bit of interest I then sponged a tiny bit of a-england's sparkly Merlin and added Revlon topcoat:






Here's a close up of one of the nails from the photo above, look at the a-england Merlin, you can see it is actually small rectangular/bar shaped glitter and a nice change from the ususal round or hexagonal shaped glitter, also slightly different from bar glitter in that it's not as long or thin.




Here is the nail I thought turned out the best, my little finger on the right, also in the sun you can see the Merlin sparkling away!



Now I've tried sponging a bit more I might experiment with some different types of sponges to see what effects they create. For this I used some triangular makeup sponges, cut up into tiny bits and held with tweezers. 

(You can buy cheap makeup sponges anywhere quite cheaply, I don't use them but the lady in the MAC makeup store gave these to me when I bought some foundation. Unfortunately I used and came out in a rash, this was a few years ago when I didn't know I was latex intolerant.They've sat in the bathroom cabinet in a bag ever since - knew they'd be handy one day!!)

Right enough of me, lets see what my other challenge ladies have come up with....


Below are the links to the other ladies blogs so you can see the manicures:


Emily at The Lacquerologist 

Rie at Nails and Noms 

Sammy at The Nailasaurus 

Stephanie at Sincerely Stephanie


Next part of the challenge to be posted on Wednesday will be water marbling, it's fun but messy and time consuming, but the finished look is beautiful. 


Today is also Earth Day where all the people on the planet are urged to do one act in order to help the planet and the environment, over at The Phalanges Files you can see some manicures dedicated to species of plants and animals that are directly affected by the damage to the environment, please take a look and have a little think about what we can all do to make a difference however small, it's the small things that make the big difference.....

Thankyou for looking. xxx

26 comments:

  1. Love the shades you used on this looks great Esther, I too have never done sponging , brilliant :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo, I think you should have a go!

      Delete
  2. I love this look! You did a great job with the gradient, and Merlin is sooo cool!! Thanks for the close ups of it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Emily, I really o like Merlin, but rarely use it!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic sponging job. Loving the outcome, excited to see Wednesdays design XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make this look so chic and sophisticated!
    GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marta, definitely need more practice!

      Delete
  5. This is stunning, Esther! Sponging is one of few techniques that I feel comfortable to do!
    We've tagged you on our blog, so go check it out!
    Phlox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Phlox, I will check it out, and I would love to see some of your new polishes on the blog ;-)

      Delete
  6. This is really awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!
    I used to sponge my nails when i wanted to do a french polish look as I dont have a very steady hand (especially on the 'wrong' hand) i havent done it in ages, perhaps i might have a little play now you've reminded me of the technique.
    Emma xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Emma, that sounds like a great idea, I may try that! x

      Delete
  8. I think you did great, it looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look like galaxy nails! You did a great job with the sponging and blending everything together. Very nice!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mihaela, I thought that as soon as I'd done them, need to be more subtle on the sponging I think next time.x

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful mani. ♥ I need Merlin in my life! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I would love to see Merlin on your beautiful nails one day. :-)

      Delete