Friday, April 13, 2012

Black and White Challenge - Day 5: Colour Base with something black

Hello everyone, another episode of the black and white challenge brings us a manicure with colour base and some black. For this I decided to do a 'cloud manicure', something I've not tried before but I think it turned out ok. Unfortunately by the time I'd got round to taking photos, using the GOSH topcoat over quite thick layers meant there was a bit of shrinkage and so the tips are exposed!! 

For the base layer I used a beautiful blue from Boots 17 called Catwalk Couture, it has a very slight shimmer to it, followed by a layer of Orly Galaxy Girl a stunning purply red with lots of blue shimmer that tied in nicely with the Catwalk Couture, followed by the last layer of a-england Lancelot a blackened red to tie in with the Galaxy Girl. 




It took me quite a while to get even one decent closeup photo for this manicure, the light would shine off the topcoat hiding the Galaxy Girl or to get it at an angle with no light reflection the blue shimmer would then disappear. But trust me, in real life the colours looked beautiful together and were more visible.






Also I broke 2 of my nails (quite painfully) opening the kids toothpaste, just as they were getting to a length that I like, not too long or short, oh well!! I suppose they will at least be a vaguely consistent length for the challenge.

Enough of my waffling, lets see what the other ladies have come up with shall we? I do hope you have been clicking on the links to see what manicures they've done over the challenge, there have been some really beautiful ones! Well done girls! :-)


Below are the links to the other ladies blogs so you can see the manicures:


Emily at The Lacquerologist 

Rie at Nails and Noms 

Sammy at The Nailasaurus 

Stephanie at Sincerely Stephanie




Thankyou for looking Fab Followers and hope you are staying tuned for the rest of the challenge! xxx

28 comments:

  1. love the clouds mani, the colours are great together and I do love that 17 blue :D Really enjoying watching what you come up with x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo, the blue is beautiful but it stains, a lot!

      Delete
  2. Pretty! I can't get enough of these cloud/scalloped manis, they're so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Rie, I think it's one of those looks that is nice on long or short nails!

      Delete
  3. I love cloud manis! My sister did one last week and it really does look s stunning in real life as it does in photos. I really love you colour choice for this one :) Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I really wish I'd captured it better though!

      Delete
  4. Love the cloud mani Esther! It looks so chic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! I'be been really wanting to try this cloud mani idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see it on your lovely nails Cris!

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love your clouds <3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cloud mani and your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks beautiful Esther!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marisa, I think you should try one! :-)

      Delete
  10. I still have to try the cloud manicure myself but I do like it a lot. I know how hard it is to photograph certain subtle combos that just look beautiful in reality. I think you did a good job though. Love it!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mihaela, it was a stunning combination, the Galaxy Girl looked a beautiful deep red colur at certain angles too. Perfect! x

      Delete
  11. Wow! So pretty!
    I really like the colours you chose... and may I say in the least creepy way:
    You have really pretty hands !!! Want to switch? You can have my short/fat fingers!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Marta!! as if you have short/fat fingers, I do look at your blog you know *rolls eyes*. If we swap it means you have to have my weak nails!! :-p

      Delete
  12. Very gorgeous, I think you must have the utmost in patience! I cannot even imagine attempting this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tina, it was surprisingly quick and easy to do, I was pleased for my first attempt, definitely going to do more.x

      Delete
  13. Very pretty, i like your color choice!

    ReplyDelete