Saturday, April 28, 2012

Black and White Challenge - Day 10: Manicure of your choice with B&W

Hello everybody, so we've made it through the challenge, and today the last day being a manicure of choice. However we decided that between us we'd choose a manicure from one of our challenge buddies to re-create. Now there were some fantastic manicures done by all of the ladies and it was so hard to choose which to do so.....................

........... I did my favourite one from each of the ladies! To be fair I only did on one hand for four of them and the end manicure I really wanted to keep on, so did both hands. The ladies have given me lots of you lovely new followers and this is my sort of thankyou. :-) 

Here are the polishes used, left to right: GOSH - Nero, China Glaze - White on White, a-england - Merlin, Revlon - Blue Lagoon - Boots 17 - Go Go, a-england - Morgan Le Fay/Lancelot/Dragon and Camelot, Pretty and Polished - Jawbreaker and lastly Butter London - The Black Knight (all finished with a topcoat of either Revlon or NYC). At the front is the nail art pen, ring reinforcements and the striping tape used:




                                                                              * * * * * *

First up is my favourite from Cris at Let Them Have Polish, I loved the half moon manicure she did for Day 2 - White on Black (click for link).

I used a base of GOSH  - Nero and then using ring reinforcements to mask off the black area, I did a thickish layer of China Glaze - White on White followed by a-england - Merlin dotted along the seam. This turned out well and I will try with different colours again.




Next up is Rie from Nails and Noms, she did the cutest little bumble bee manicure for Day 5 - Colour Base with Black - (click for link).

I think my bee was a bit drunk on nectar judging by the flight path but I can assure you the manicurist wasn't! (Being left handed doesn't help when I have to use right hand to work camera and therefore have to take photos of left hand!)  I used Revlon - Blue Lagoon as I don't have the Sinful Colors - Cinderella that Rie used. Boot's 17 - GoGo was used for the yellow part of the bee and for the wings I mixed a tiny bit of a-england - Morgan Le Fay with some of the China Glaze White. I then used the black nail art pen do outline bee and do the dashes on the other nails.



Following on from this I re-created the manicure Sammy from The Nailasaurus did for Day 3 - Black base with Colour (click for link).

I hadn't done any stamping for this challenge as I am very new to it and still need a lot of practice but I thought I may as well try, I loved the combination of the two a-england polishes and Sammy was right you can see the red of the Lancelot flashing through the Dragon. It was almost impossible to capture but it looked stunning, you should try it! 

For the stamping I used Cheeky Jumbo Image plate A:




As soon as I saw Stephanie from Sincerely Stephanie's manicure for Day 2 - Black base with White (click for link), I knew straight away this original and beautiful look needed to be copied, we all know I like dots and it'd have been rude not to try this!

For the look I used a-england Camelot and China Glaze White On White: 




Finally for my main manicure I chose by Emily from The Lacquerologist - Day 7 - Black and White with glitter (click for link).

This was a very striking look and I had to invest in some striping tape this week ( £0.99 - Ebay, thankyou very much!). For the base I used 3 thin layers of Pretty and Polished Jawbreaker, a beautiful glitter filled milky polish, followed by a thick layer of Butter London's The Black Knight. Unfortunately the Butter London polish had gone quite thick and so when I pulled the tape off the lines weren't perfectly straight. 

Sorry the middle picture is out of focus, you can blame my husband! He had come in from celebrating his last day at his place of work and was a bit tipsy, actually I'd like to thank him for taking all the two hand photo's for me through out the challenge, thankyou Leigh! 

 



As with all manicures it looks much better in real life as our eyes don't have macro facilities to see the detail - thankfully. Once I invest in some polish thinner I will try this again but perhaps with a plain creme as the base or top colour. The amount of glitter everywhere cleaning up wasn't even funny!

So what have I learnt doing this challenge? 

  • a-england polish really is the best but I knew that anyway!
  • I love seeing the manicures that all bloggers, not just my challenge buddies have come up with - you are a constant source of inspiration people!
  • Although this is my first challenge undertaken, it is good to have a few days between manicures to allow for time.
  • I really don't like white polish much due to it's application!

Anyway let's see which of the manicures the other ladies chose shall we?
Below are the links to the other ladies blogs so you can see the manicures:

Emily at The Lacquerologist 

Rie at Nails and Noms 

Sammy at The Nailasaurus 

Stephanie at Sincerely Stephanie


Normal service will be resumed in the next week, I will be doing a few Fab Favourites and showing some nice new polishes I have received in swaps. Thankyou for looking everyone. xxx

32 comments:

  1. Esther!! Everything about this post is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Rie, I've had so much fun doing it and I just couldn't resist doing one of each! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love all the designs! I'm tempted to try out the first one though, that would look good for going out :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Cara, the originals were far better. But yes the half moon manicure is very pretty!

      Delete
  3. This post is amazing!! You are such a wonderful and sweet person! I'm so happy I've gotten to know you better :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, it's been a pleasure too and I've enjoyed doing this challenge with you, thankyou so much! :-)x

      Delete
  4. I have thoroughly enjoyed this post. I love the first one, but the one I'm most eager to try is the last one. It looks soooo fun.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, it was fun to do the whole post!

      Delete
  5. I love them all Esther, I'm definitely buying striping tape! They are all absolutely fantastic and you've done a brilliant job all through the challenge, congrats! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sharon, as long as you cut all the tape you need first you'll be fine as it's really fiddly. :-D x

      Delete
  6. Esther, I can't believe you did a mani from each of us! How amazing! I looove your version of my glitter/striping tape mani...it looks great on you! I'm so glad you liked it enough to recreate it =) I have loved getting to work with you on this challenge!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Emily, I really loved your manicure, it was so pretty. Lok forward to another challenge maybe!

      Delete
  7. Ooh I love the bee, very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love, and yeah one more love, all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Thankyou Rebecca, glad to see you back with us, and your nails on the blog. xx <3

      Delete
  9. Love the last manicure alot!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Amy, I really loved it, you need to get some tape to try it too.x

      Delete
  10. the black and white manicure is absolutely divine!!! I'm in love with the simplicity and boldness of it!! Fab fingertips indeed :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Maryam, I loved copying them fro the talented ladies!

      Delete
  11. I love the designs you created, very talented! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou dear, it was my challenge buddies who came up with the ideas that I copied!

      Delete
  12. haha, your bee was fantastic! it doesn't matter if it flew a bit crazy, it's funnier that way! but your fire-works nails amazed me the most! the pattern was very sharp but of course i had to love the glitter on top of it!!!/Azure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Azure! I think Emily did an amazing job of coming up with that manicure, I knew I had ot copy it! x

      Delete
  13. Esther, your nail art skills are AMAZING!!!! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marisa, you are so sweet, I had such fun doing them too! x

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad you did the stamping! It came out perfect! aengland polishes stamp really well. And I love all the other ones as well. The last one is just stunning! All that glitter and the clean lines. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mihaela! I have discovered that they are the best for stamping definitely! Need to practice more now.

      Delete
  15. Where do I even start!!!?
    There are all gorgeous!
    You truly add an element of elegance to your designs... regardless of how simple or complex :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thankyou Marta, I just couldn't pick one to do...

      Delete
  16. All so pretty! Beautiful! Will follow!

    ReplyDelete