Monday, March 19, 2012

Carmine Beauty box - February.

Hello all, I have missed out posting about the last two Carmine beauty boxes due to not having enough time over the last couple of months, in fact posting levels were way down in Jan/Feb but I hope to recitfy that. 

I don't know if any of you have started getting these beauty boxes but for me they are a great way to try things you may have wanted to, but got distracted by other things ( nail polish!!). Febuary's offering was no less exciting than the others and these were the products in the box:




As well as the usual five items, there was a free Yardley 'Peony' perfume sample thrown in. I have tried it a couple of times, it's a nice smell but reminds me more of Lily of the Valley flowers than peony but maybe it's just my nose, as I hardly wear perfume!

First in the box was a travel size White Glo toothpaste, an extra strength whitening one apparently formulated for actors and models. I passed this toothpaste straight onto my husband as nothing, NOTHING will take me away from my beloved Euthymol toothpaste. He has yet to use it but when he does I will see if I can tell any difference to his teeth and let you know! 

 


Next in the box was a sample size lipstick from Italian brand Diego dalla Palma. I know these are available in Tesco's but having had a look online I think it may be a different type of lipstick on sale than the one here (on Tesco it is Pop Art Lipstick priced at £14) but this looks to be an Il Rossetto style lipstick and so am unsure of full size price for this item.




I received in the box the colour No.42 (unfortunately totally unsuitable for me), a sort of browny rose-gold colour. It did nothing for me so didn't even take a proper picture, however you can see a heavy swatch below. It wore for about 3-4 hours before I needed to re-apply again. There looks to be plenty of other colours though and I know that colours can vary in pigmentation, so would be interested to try another, I quite like the look of 39 & 41 in the holder (above).

This is No.42:




Ooh what's this? Another balance Me product? Why yes it is, and I'm super pleased to have this! After discovering the handcream from this brand in the October Carmine box (I'd heard of them but not tried anything), I also decided to try another few items from them in December and got a trial size of this bodywash. 




It was lovely and left my skin so soft and with a lovely subtle rose smell. So I was over the moon to get a full size version. You only need a tiny amount of this and 125ml will last you a long time (priced at £8, also available in 260 ml for £12.25).
Balance Me is fast becoming a favourite of mine as far as skincare is concerned, I also have the Rose Otto lipsalve (amongst other things) which is perfect, not sticky and keeps lips moisturised for a long time. As soon as I have finished up all my cleansing creams/facewashes I will most certainly be trying some their cleansers and will report back.


Below is a pot of cult product Steamcream, a moisturiser made of a blend of essential oils as well as other ingredients. For those who wish to avoid parabens, as it is contained in this, I have seen that only naturally occuring parabens from blueberries and apples are used in this product. It is a multi-tasking cream, suitable for face, body & hands. I can tell by the texture it would be too heavy for my face and I fear a breakout if I try! It is great for my hands and this little pot has been placed in my knitting bag for when my hands get a bit dry from playing with wool & yarn!




The pots come in many limited edition designs and are available from their website priced £12.95 for 75g. From what I can read on the website the company has excellent environmental credentials, (and the cream is vegan for those of you out there who need this option) however I am not sure if ingredients are fairtrade.


Lastly in the box was a full size bottle of Andrea Fulerton nail polish in the colour 'Matthew' (a shimmery pale peachy-pink), these are available from Superdrug priced £4.99 for 5.5ml. I have yet to try this brand myself but have bought it for others and so it was nice to get this!





Rather than do a normal swatch (I'm sure you can find swatches online), I decided to copy the pattern on the Steamcream tin. Although the polish was not exactly the same colour as the tin I thought it'd be fun to do this manicure.

I used from the ever trusty a-england - Excalibur as the silver base and Camelot for the black detail and the Andrea Fulerton for the beige part of the animal print.




I need to do a proper swatch of the polish but I've heard good things about the brand and seen many good reviews, maybe I need to invest for myself! 

So that's another Carmine box out of the way, and nearly time for the next one to be released, I wonder what will be in it.....

Till next time fab followers. xxx 


EDIT: As of 21st March ,2012, Carmine Beauty are no longer in existence having been taken over by Glossybox. Please see the Carmine website for more details.

18 comments:

  1. I have been seeing so many beauty box posts lately, I really need to hop on the bandwagon and subscribe to one =) The steamcream looks amazing, such awesome packaging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Jacqui, I had seen loads and some were good, some not so good, but this is a relatively new one, so I thought, I'll be going in without any preconceptions, and I've been loving them so far! :-) x

      Delete
  2. I really like your manicure Esther! You're so talented! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ivana, wish I was as talented as you, I love your nails! xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thankyou, thought I;d do something a bit different.:-)

      Delete
  4. We have a couple of these beauty boxes here, but the products are not very attractive and I've seen a lot of people complain about the customer service. It's only been a few months since we have these, so they are still fresh. I do love your reviews though. And I love the leopard print. I did one today with Fantasy Fire and I quite like the look (I hate it in clothes though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mihaela, they've stopped doing these boxes now, what a pain! I'm really into leopard print manis at the mo!!

      Delete
  5. Esther, you have talent and I need you to come paint my nails for me!! I am in LOVE with this printed nail art...SO so beautiful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Crystal, I would love to come and paint your nails/ have a nosey at your nail polish collection!!

      Delete
  6. Sooo annoying that they have now cancelled the Carmine service which I thought was really good! Love your manicure though - how very talon-ted (sorry - too hard to resist.)

    drowninginhoneystingless.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really gutted but the beauty director has gone to She Said beauty boxes si I am trying them out to see if they wil be as good!

      Delete
  7. haha i love your own way of displaying things!
    especially when you matched the steam cream!! superfab! convenient box all in all!/Azure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Azure, I thought it would be a bit more fun to do than a straight swatch manicure.

      Delete
  8. That's a really nice box, I get Birchbox and I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tyne, I don't think we get Birchbox over here, but I have seen them on blogs!

      Delete
  9. WOW you copied that design so well - it's perfect!

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nic! :-) It was good fun to do as well!

      Delete