Friday, February 24, 2012

My General Nail/Hand care routine.


Hello everyone, sorry it's been a while since last post but I'm back with a rundown of my hand and nailcare routine as requested by Samantha.

I will start by saying I'm not an expert in nailcare, neither am I qualified as a nail technician, however there are lots of fab websites and YouTube videos that you may find helpful. This is just a post showing you the items I use regularly in an attempt to keep my hands looking ok.

Once or twice a week I start off by using a cuticle remover, which just gets rid of any old skin around the nail edges and they feel so nice afterwards! I use Sally Hansen Gel Remover (in most chemists/supermarkets) which you keep on for a couple of minutes and use the non-pointy end of a hoofstick to scrape round, to rid the area of the skin. You have to wash this off as soon as you have done removing the cuticle, so I also use a bit of face scrub at the same time to scrub my hands and leave them soft before moisturising.




I don't tend to file my nails after doing this procedure, as I have washed my hands and only file when they are completely dry. I use one of these files shown below (Dirty Works from Sainsbury's) that has a varied grit on it depending on what you need to do. I should really get a top notch glass one, but with so many out there, I can't decide which one to get. I have heard the Leighton Denny one is good though.

The black side of the file I don't use much really as my nails are quite short and therefore don't need much taking off.





When I do file I do a 'squoval' shape - not quite square (which doesn't suit me) or rounded. I find it quite uncomfortable to have my nails too long so only really allow them to grow just over the ends of the nail (below in photo is as long as I like them). As I file I also turn my hand around to see if they are even (again see photo below) as sometimes if the white part on the tip is a bit uneven it can make your filing inaccurate. A lot of people file with their nail polish on for this reason.

I took this picture halfway through filing, you can see the right and middle nails I have done and are even, but had yet to do the left one. Generally I always file in one direction.




If one or more of my nails has broken to become really short then I take them all down to the same length, I can't be doing with uneven nails!! If I have to take lots off I use nail clippers and go along the nail in small movements and not take it all off in one big go as personally I find this can weaken my nails.

(My nails have recently broken to a very short length and so thats why the lack of nail posts!)


Below is Sally Hansen Nail Hardener, which I've used for a number of years if I don't put colour on my nails, just a thin layer keeps them strong. I did recently try Trind nail repair which I received in my Carmine beauty box but I gave that away, so if any recommendations on any nail repair/treatments would be welcome!




If my nails get a bit peely in winter I rub a bit of olive oil into them and this keeps them supple and moisturised also.


Below is Mavala cuticle massage oil ( from most chemists), it smells beautiful and keeps my cuticles really soft. I've not been using this for too long now, a couple of months and I really like it, so will stick to this I think unless I see any others that look good - so many out there!




In this cute little tin I got for christmas are little pots of cuticle butter, hand salve and foot salve from a company based in Dorset - Filberts Bees.

I'm guessing they are similar to Burts Bees ( which is available to me in my town, but not yet tried) and these do keep my hands nice and soft and the cuticle butter works nicely too, I usually use these ones overnight to let them soak in really well.




Lastly we come to my newly discovered holy grail hand moisturiser: balanceMe Supermoisturising hand cream. I keep this in the bathroom cabinet and put a little bit on to my damp hands after washing to really lock in the moisture. I love this stuff and so glad I came across it.




I hope you have found this vaguely interesting, and should you want to ask me any questions about the items I use please leave a comment below! 

If you want any great advice about nailcare I tend to go to the blog Loodie Loodie Loodie 
where you will find all sorts of great posts about filing and nailcare!

Take care peeps and I should be back into the habit of blogging again very soon!

Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

  1. Great post Esther... I've been thinking of doing a similar one though your nails are a much better role model than mine! I've just started using CND products and am really impressed so far. Shall post about them soon.

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nic, I can get CND in the nail parlour in my town so will look out for that post, and maybe have a purchase!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Esther! I wanted to do some nail care posts on my blog for a couple of months now, buy kept postponing them as the winter months were very difficult for my nails and I kept questioning my nail care routine. I pretty much have the same steps in my routine, only use completely different products, namely stuff that is available here. The bees stuff looks interesting. Might look around and see if we have something similar available here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mihaela, I think it's probably just winter, however carefully I look after mine, there's still the odd thing wrong with them! Let me know if you find anything simila to the Bee's stuff.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing other peoples routines, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post :) thanks, it's nice to see different people's nail routines and what works for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou LaaLaa, I still need to try your cuticle oil you blogged about, it looked really nice.

      Delete
  5. Great Post, was thinking about doing one of these maybe next month, I use different products to you , it's interesting to know what each of us use:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please Jo, would love to se what you use.

      Delete
  6. Great post Esther!! I do some things in a similar manner, but I'm not nearly as diligent as you are. I don't like my nails too long either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marisa, I really dont like the feeling of them being too long, I get scared they will get caught on something and the whole nail will rip off...

      Delete
  7. Thanks this has really helped, if i am honest i didn't really know much about cuticles and how to care for them, but this post has really helped, thanks and your nail file looks great and i think i may buy that as i have been using cheap files where you get 4 in a pack. I have realised you need to put a little money in to keeping your nails nice, i would happily spend £5-£10 on a nail polish, so if i spend this on products to keep my nails nice and healthy then hopefully they would look nice without polish. Thanks again sweetie, fantastic post xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing your products you use!! Thank you for sharing!! I'm starting to get better about a routine, but sometimes I'm just lazy ;-) lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look of the Filberts items, so cute! I really need to start using something to keep my nails from getting so brittle, will have to add a product to my routine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post you have.Its totally different from the other nail care tips.and after completion of these tips your nail look so good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to present something again and aid others such as you helped me.

    Also visit my web blog: anxiety disorder

    ReplyDelete
  12. This info is invaluable. Where can I find out more?

    my page adult acne treatment

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is pixel gun 3d cheats very necessary. Others pixel gun 3d cheats include the PC, once the App Store.
    This is an amazing feeling and an unending supply of expertise.
    The report will have the games, where they come up with a vital
    part of it, here's a brief Seven Hour War against the Terran Confederation in the regular players.


    Feel free to surf to my web blog; Pixel gun 3d hack root

    ReplyDelete