Wednesday, September 28, 2011

E.L.F Cosmetics Review Part 3: Face - Corrective Concealer, Mineral Primer and Tinted Moisturizer


Hello Ladies, I hope the previous two posts about my E.L.F bits and pieces have been a good read. I have been delaying doing the face and eyes products because I wanted to give them a fair chance and try them all out over a few days and with different products if necessary.
Below, the photo shows the face products I chose, from left to right; the Mineral Infused Primer, the palette of Corrective Concealers, and Tinted Moisturizer (spelt the US way!) with an SPF of 20.




I'm going to start with the primer, which according to the packaging will: 
  • Transform your face into a flawless and smooth canvas.
  • Combat excess oil, flakiness, enlarged pores and fine lines to give youthful radiance.
  • Prepare your skin for even application of makeup and a lasting satin finish.

Sounds good doesn't it? Well I gave it a few good tries before reaching my conclusion. (To be fair I have never tried a primer before and keep meaning to, but get tempted away by blushers, eyeshadows and nail polishes!)
When I pumped a tiny bit out of the bottle before trying on face, I really wasn't keen on the texture, to me it felt like a million microscopic ball bearings it was so fluid and almost a bit greasy. In fact the texture was like a silicon lubricant my brother has for his motorbikes, and this product does have silica and crosspolymers in it. 

For all the trials I used a pea sized amount for my face and just onto the neck, avoiding the eye area, and I used under the following foundations; Chanel Pro Lumiere, Chanel Vitalumiere, Cargo Oil Free Foundation, Maybelline Superstay 24 and the E.L.F Tinted Mosturizer. Unsurprisingly it worked best under the tinted moisturizer, this is because a lot of companies make their products to work with other products within their ranges. 
There was no difference to the Chanel ones, but the Maybelline and Cargo worked a bit but are oil free so I guess this would have helped. In all cases it did assist application due to the 'ball bearing' effect so helping the foundation spread, but I just really didn't notice that much staying power at all.  I gave it 1 day with each foundation and then again repeated again to see if my skin changing week to week had any effect but results were still the same, so I'm afraid I would not buy again.

Now onto the Corrective Concealer Palette:

I thought this was a brilliant idea to have all different coloured concealers in one palette. 

The packaging states:
  • Conceals under-eye circles, blemishes and other imperfections.

  • Brightens under-eye cirlces and neutralises redness.
  • Convenient for on-the-go travel.
Directions for use were: nude/beige for problem ares, green to neutralise redness and lilac to  brighten dull yellow areas.
On first trial, I was a bit put off by the texture as it's quite hard, but once you use the little brush to work the product into the back of your hand and so warming it up, application was much easier. It's better to pat the product on the area using the brush as opposed to brushing, as it can wipe it off again.
Now I have a small area on each cheek of acne scarring, not a lot but enough to warrant concealing everyday properly ( if I can be bothered!). I'm going to show you a picture of my scarring without anything on, no foundation, nothing, and after using the green to neutralise redness. You can see it's too light for me and so not overly helpful......but......




.....if I added a bit of a mixture of the nude and beige concealers and add over the top of the green it is better, after I took the photo below I added a bit of my usual powder and it looked even better than the photo, even my husband said my skin looked better. 
(sorry the camera was a bit closer and looks a bit brighter overall!)


For under-eye circles I'd say the beige and nude were ok (but not as good as covering blemishes), it didn't seem to really be pigmented enough to cover the blue on the inner corner of the eye but was fine on the outer half near the temple area.

I can see me using this palette for everyday use but I think for a special night out and longevity I will stick to my Estee Lauder Doublewear as it doesn't budge. However I'd also use this to take away from home, I have lost my makeup bag before containing expensive makeup and have learnt a valuble lesson, to only take the cheap stuff! I think this palette is fantastic value for money though, and I'm very tough to please.

Lastly we come to the Tinted Moisturizer:

During the day I don't like to wear a heavy foundation, I'm so busy running around that my skin feels horrible by the end of the day, so I bought this to try out. (I have a nightmare trying to get foundations, I have the usual beige skin which some brands equate to pink beige skin, as oppsed to yellow beige skin. Pink Beige foundation makes skintones like mine look ashy.)
On the E.L.F website the colour I chose was beige which according to them is light to medium with yellow undertones, and do you know what? I tried this and the colour was just perfect, not too yellow, not too light or dark, not too pink. 

As with all foundation/base products you have to give it a good shake to mix the ingredients. The coverage was good, not too thick, evened out my skintone and didn't break me out in spots. Neither did I have an allergic reaction to the SPF in it which lately I seem to have problems with. I love that it has a decent SPF of 20 as I have been religious about my suncare since I was 18 and saves me having to apply an SPF before foundation as I do now. E.L.F. I think you have found a new regular buyer of your Tinted Moisturizer!


So I think in the face section of my  E.L.F review, 2 out of 3 products is not bad, the primer was a big no but the others (forgetting the price) were actually half decent products and if you do go for one thing get the Tinted Moisturizer.



Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I have the regular line tinted moisturizer, but I hardly ever use it. I don't even own foundation, so tinted moisturizer is the height of makeup for me. Maybe I'll try this when I run out of mine (in a century or so).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I had good enough skin not to wear anthing! After having my second daughter I had to get skin solution from the doctors. But my hormones are all nearly back to normal so I don't use anything anymore, which I am so pleased about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My skin isn't that good, but I'm too lazy to do foundation. My biggest problem however are the dark circles. I always use concealer and still can't cover them properly. Did you use the concealer palette for dark circles also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knew I forgot to put something in! Will edit post but it was pretty average at covering dark circles. This is what I have most problems with. Have you tried Origins Ginzing for the eyes? expensive but you only need a bit and lasts for ages, aftera couple of weeks you can really notice the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have that stuff around here. I guess it's better because I wouldn't afford it anyway. I have an eye cream but I've been really lazy lately and didn't use much.

    ReplyDelete