Friday, September 23, 2011

E.L.F Cosmetics Review Part 1: Nail Polishes - Lilac and Red Velvet

My ELF cosmetics shopping spree came ever so quickly, about 3 days after I'd ordered it, which was impressive considering how busy they were. I've never tried ELF cosmetics before so this is quite exciting. 

Normally I'm really reluctant to buy makeup online as you just can't tell what they are going to be like colour and texture wise. I bought these as the opportunity to try them at such a low price was almost too good to be true.

Below is the large box with all my goodies:


This is what I got:


Studio Cream Eyeshadow - Candlelight
Eye Primer and Liner Sealer - natural
Blush - Gotta Glow
Blush - Berry Merry
Eye Transformer - Eye Transformer
Natural Radiance Blusher - Glow
Nail Polish - NEW - Red Velvet
Lengthening and Volumising Mascara black
Nail Polish - Lilac
Tinted Moisuriser SPF 20 - Beige - light to medium skin tones with yellow undertones
Corrective Concealer - Corrective Concealer
Mineral Infused Face Primer - Mineral Infused Face Primer

I've decided to post about the nail polishes first as these were quite quick to do, and the next post about the blushers for the same reason. The other items I have been experimenting with to give a better review for you.

Below are the two nail polishes in the colours Lilac and Red Velvet. They are free from toluene, formaldehyde and DBP which is always good in my book.


Left - Red Velvet , Right - Lilac.





I swatched the Lilac first and I thought it was a bit average in the bottle, it's quite a dirty lilac with a touch of grey in it, but once on I really like it. It was a dream to apply, I did 3 coats for the photos. After one coat it looked really nice as a sheer wash, I wished I'd taken a photo of that now, it was really pretty. The finish was creme, with Red Velvet being a slight shimmer.

Below is in full sunlight, it was fairly glossy but the camera hasn't picked this up...  

Full sunlight.
... and in natural light:

Natural light.



I had a bit of tip wear after a day, but I didn't bother with a top coat. It was also the same with Red Velvet, seen below in natural light. This reminded me of a lighter version of Gondola by Chanel, which I don't own but have seen at counters.  I wasn't overly impressed with Gondola and was a bit disappointed with this one, but that's the trouble with internet shopping I guess!


Natural light.

 Below is in full sunlight:


In full sunlight


Here's a close up to show the small amount of shimmer





Removal of both of these polishes was very easy, only a couple of wipes required.


My next post with be on the three blushers I chose, a girl can NEVER have enough blushers I say, never!! It would be my desert island makeup choice.
 Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. That lilac is right up my alley. I'm sure I'm gonna get it soon. I love it! I think the other one looks like something I already have but don't like very much because I'm not into reds/pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love elf nail polishes. I'm ashamed to confess I own them all. And yes this lilac is adorable. Not all of them are good (the white is quite bad) but there are some great ones in their line.

    It's funny that blush is your desert island choice. I only started to wear blush about 4 years ago, it's quite new compared to the number of years I've made up (since I was 17)! I guess I prefered not to wear any rather than wearing one that was making me look over made up. Now I love blush, it's true that it gives a lovely healthy face when it's well chosen. My favorites kinds are very pale neutral pink (elf "Joy" and Alima "Apple Blossom" are my holy grails).

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were lots of colours I really wanted to try but a lot of them had already sold out, I'm definitely getting more.

    Nathalie - my skin being olive can be quite sallow looking especially in winter and so I need that bit of colour to stop me looking ill! Funnily enough I have only about 10 blushers (eyeshadows a different matter), but I always wear it over anything else. I've never heard of Alima, will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information wonderfull collection for beauty products but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog.

    Buy Makeup Online & Wholesale Beauty Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got useful online shopping tips form this article as well collection from your website.This was really such a great and fun website .

    Botanicalorganic Provides you the best supplement & beauty products,Now you can visit our website http://www.botanicalorganic.com/

    buy supplements online & buy skin care online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Articles and content in this section of the website are really amazing. Great ideas indeed! I will surely keep this in my mind!

    London Beauty Courses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great detailed information, I ll be visiting you more frequently, here is very interesting information.

    NVQ Level 3 Beauty Therapy Intensive

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvelous job!....

    Hair NVQ L2

    ReplyDelete